Person first language

With a bachelor's degree in therapeutic recreation I quickly learned what person's first language is, as we often worked with individuals with disabilities. However, after reading the article assigned for session 9a it came to me that I never really thought about it as much for people with a disease such as diabetes. You just always hear time and time again that someone is diabetic, but its the same case as if you were talking about a child with autism you wouldn't want to describe that child by saying they are autistic as it is limiting their identity by the disability. I know so many people in my life that do not know the first thing about person first language and I believe that it should be something that is taught to kids at a young age because kids as well as adults sometimes don't realize how something they say affect those around them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leadership Summit

Foundations Finale

TBI and how it changes everything